We at BLOK sunglasses take pride in using the best materials available in the construction of our sunglasses. All of our frames are made of Grilamid TR90 nylon.
Grilamid TR90 is a high quality polyamide with remarkable properties. It was developed by a Swiss company and was originally intended for use as transparent shirt buttons which could easily withstand the rigours of a washing machine.
It was quickly discovered that due to it’s stability, flexibility and durability it had many more applications, such as protective tubing for fibre optics, spectacle frames and multiple uses in the automotive and aviation industries.
Grilamid TR90 makes the perfect material for sunglass frames for the following reasons:
- It is 20% lighter than other plastics – the lightest engineering plastic in existence. Many people tend to forget they’re even wearing sunglasses
- It is extremely flexible – another reason why they are so comfortable.
- It contains no plasticisers, therefore highly resistant to cosmetics, chemicals and perspiration.
- It has high resistance to stress cracking, crush force and sudden impact.
- It has a high level of heat deflection. The frame will not melt or distort in extreme Australian temperatures such as sitting on car dashboards, etc.
- It is scratch resistant.
- It is UV and weather resistant therefore has long lasting colour retention and structural integrity.
- It is incredibly durable. High level of dynamic and flexural fatigue strength.
© 2016 Decara Direct Pty Ltd